Skip to main content

Learning resources: Books I am using, February 2021

 Videos are the best but I still like learning from books. I purchased a few. I get some in physical form from the library and I get a lot of books in e-book form from the library.

 I am currently working though the following books of tutorials to improve my technique.

Everyday Watercolor, Jenna Rainey

I am just starting this one now. It starts out simple but looks like it builds to a good level of challenge. I have been struggling a bit lately so I am looking forward to working through some simple exercises to build confidence.

Watercolor Basics: Let's get started, Jack Reid

This book has a lot of tutorials. It starts by drilling 4 methods:
  1. Flat wash
  2. Graduated wash
  3. Wet-in-wet
  4. Drybrush
I like this book a lot and should write a full review. It just went back to the library so it will be a few weeks until I have it back.


101 Watercolor Techniques, Parramón Editorial Team

I got this in my order of bargain books. It's actually pretty good. The exercises are basically practice prompts and they start out very accessible to beginners.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little clock drawing

  The shiny look is due to cheap sketchbook paper that can't take any moisture. I am waiting on two Canson XL sketchbooks to be delivered - That will be exciting 😀! One is a small mixed media one and the other is the watercolor one with 30 sheets. Looking forward to trying them both.

Simple apple painting

 Not sure if this is more successful than my first fruit painting but I certainly thought about it more. I tried to use lifting to get the white spots on the skin (which I think worked ok) and for the reflections around the edge (which didn't really work). I also tried adding white after for the waxy white part of the skin. I know it's not recommended I just wanted to see what it would look like.

Major art supplies haul

  I have been waiting for this order for over a month. It was held up in the pandemic lockdown. Finally! A basic set of Gouache Fingers crossed that this works out. I have heard mixed reviews on the brand. It is less than half the price of the major brands though. An amazing looking watercolor palette This looks like one of the best options available. I will be filling it with W&N Cotman colors. Sometimes I feel guilty about all the palettes I have purchased (6 of them now) but then I realize they are all in currently use except one. New sketchbook! And papers Looking forward to using this spiral bound sketchbook with mixed media paper. Right now I am using a bound cartridge paper book that was only $5. It isn't very good with water at all as you might guess.  Not pictured: Tracing paper. More drawing supplies India ink, ink droppers, bamboo pen, gum eraser a couple of small brushes. Not pictured: Erasing shield.  More Cotman colors I am upgrading from the Staedtler student set