Skip to main content

Work from Everyday Watercolor - Day 4 - Abstract composition

 

Another challenging exercise. This time working on day 4 of the popular book Everyday Watercolor. This seemed to take way longer than expected by the author. It took time to pick out the 6 colours. I like the set I picked well enough but don't love them.
 
The exercise challenge is to balance warm and cool colors, stay within lines and practice painting right next to previous washes of paint. This seems to work on water control and gauging drying time.

I also got a bit of practice fixing mistakes. I had a couple of large blooms I wanted to fix and one or two drops that got outside of lines.

I was very happy with the Winsor and Newton Cotman #6 brush this time. The springy tip did a great job cleaning up tiny edges. Previously I had issues with this brush dumping little bits of water and the tip "squaring off" sort of but not this time. Maybe it was the amount of paint I was using?

Learning:

  • Choosing and using a larger palette (6+ colors)
  • Water control
  • Fixing mistakes by picking up paint 
  • Smoothing out blooms with a slightly damp brush
  • Cleaning edges with the very tip of the round brush

New to me:

  • Mixing orange with these Cotman paints
  • Using Indian Red as a neutral. Used here to tone down Cadmium yellow and Alizarin Crimson

Materials:

  • W & N Cotman watercolor
  • Strathmore 400 Cold press 140 lb.
  • Princeton Neptune #8 round
  • W & N Cotman #6 round

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Little clock drawing

  The shiny look is due to cheap sketchbook paper that can't take any moisture. I am waiting on two Canson XL sketchbooks to be delivered - That will be exciting 😀! One is a small mixed media one and the other is the watercolor one with 30 sheets. Looking forward to trying them both.

Simple apple painting

 Not sure if this is more successful than my first fruit painting but I certainly thought about it more. I tried to use lifting to get the white spots on the skin (which I think worked ok) and for the reflections around the edge (which didn't really work). I also tried adding white after for the waxy white part of the skin. I know it's not recommended I just wanted to see what it would look like.

Floral sketches

These are quick, practice sketches I do while watching TV. Then they get very quickly "colored in" when I have a few minutes left in a painting session. Now that I have a better sketchbook these will improve. The ones below are in the old sketchbook which is just cartridge paper.